Update (Jan 2014): I am so excited to share the news that this recipe won 2nd place in the Blueberry-Balsamic category of the contest sponsored by the U.S. Blueberry Council. Many thanks to the U.S. Blueberry Council and big congrats to the other winners! Click here for the full list of winning recipes
- 1 pkg. (8 ounce) wild rice (ours a kamut and wild rice blend given at the Food Media Forum)
- 1/4 cup pecans, (MO Northern Pecan Growers, Nevada, MO)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, ours from Shirks Country Market
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- about 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- Cook wild rice according to package directions using either water or vegetable broth (preferred).
- Meanwhile, heat pecans in a dry skillet to lightly toast, being careful not to burn, about 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat and sauté garlic for almost 1 minute; add blueberries, cook for 1 min on low heat, then add balsamic; allow to mixture reduce and cook down about another 5 minutes.
- Toss rice, blueberry balsamic and pecans; season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with a sprinkle of scallions.